CEOCareer Thought Leaders

Denver, CO

Member Since June 2021

Skills

Coaching
Social Media Strategy
Business Development

About

Entrepreneur. Speaker. Leader. I never imagined holding these roles; my natural analytical tendencies didn’t lend to risk-taking. Leaving a stable job, starting a business in a recession, and becoming CEO of a global think tank wasn’t the plan. Sure, a memorable experience with my junior high guidance counselor first introduced me to the power of career professionals, but I was going to be a doctor. Then, as an advisor at Colorado State, I fell in love with the impact advisors, coaches, counselors, and resume writers have on clients’ lives. In 2008—the peak of the Great Recession—I left CSU. Afraid to fail, I hustled like crazy and did a bit of everything—career coaching, resume writing, and presenting trainings at workforce centers. Along the way, I felt the stress of wondering if I was delivering the best information, experience, and results to aid client success. I felt the stigma that career services often carry within the coaching/counseling worlds at large. And my mission to advocate for the careers industry was born. I ventured out of my comfort zone to assume leadership roles in state and national careers organizations that would make a difference. In early 2015 I assumed ownership of Career Thought Leaders and Resume Writing Academy, and in 2017 acquired the Reach Personal Branding training and certification programs. I’ve met so many dedicated professionals in the careers field who crave first-class support, training, and innovation. These career colleagues transform lives and they inspire me every day. As CEO, speaker, and trainer, I am delighted to provide proven and leading-edge career management, branding, job search, resume development, social media, and leadership expertise for career professionals worldwide. Visit careerthoughtleaders.com and resumewritingacademy.com to learn how we're changing the world...one career success story at a time. If you are a fellow servant leader, sports fan, Rotarian, or advocate for proactive career management... let's connect! While completing my degree, I worked my way up within a mid-sized construction firm and launched additional ventures – juggling running a land construction company, overseeing developments, and working with senior managers to close acquisition deals.

Published content

Beating the backlash: when business competitors stomp on innovation 

expert panel

Tune out the industry naysayers and lean into solving your target market's pain points. When you're a brand disruptor who aims to provide innovative solutions in an established "business as usual" marketplace, your company and its leadership are bound to ruffle some feathers. To overcome any negativity, continue to stay above the fray and let the data speak for itself. By proactively educating the underserved market of consumers and staying truthful about your business intentions, you'll mobilize a community of ambassadors in no time, who are willing to support your organization's potential and share their personal testimonials.  As you begin to strengthen your client base, remember to put their needs first. But it's also imperative to build bridges by keeping your competitors even closer. At the end of the day, feedback, whether good or bad, fuels inspiration and innovation. This puts your company in a much better position to address concerns, defend its own progress, and defeat the status quo mentality of other colleagues in the field. Below, 16 Fast Company Executive Board members share tips to maintain your clients' confidence in your new establishment and develop loyal partnerships that will last a lifetime.

Will $17 billion in HR tech help you hit the career jackpot?

article

Exploring the tech that won the war for funding will help you plan for the year ahead.

15 ways to close the “credibility gap” with potential clients or customers

expert panel

You’ve caught the attention of a new prospect—now you need to convince them you can really deliver what you’re promising. Across industries, marketing teams of both B2B and B2C companies employ a variety of strategies to catch the attention of new prospects. It can be a difficult hill to climb—particularly in today’s global, digital marketplace—but even when you succeed, your work may be only half done. The new prospect knows what you claim to offer, but they may not be sure—yet—that you can back it up. To complete the sale, companies need to close the “credibility gap” that may be keeping prospects from making a final decision in their favor. To help, 15 members of Fast Company Executive Board have shared ways companies can convince potential clients and customers that they are capable of and committed to following through on their marketing promises. Follow their advice to establish your expertise and land the deal.

16 ways businesses can "humanize" their brands (no matter what they sell)

expert panel

Today’s consumers want to engage with the human beings behind a brand, not faceless corporations. “People buy from people.” It’s an adage that has never been more true than it is in today’s digital age. The online economy places near unlimited options at consumers’ fingertips. Even so, people crave real connections and a personal touch in their customer experience. Businesses must develop ways to reach people on a human level to convert online connections into sales. Both B2C and B2B companies will see better results if they’re able to show the human beings who drive their brands. Below, 16 members of Fast Company Executive Board discuss ways business leaders can humanize their brands, no matter what product or service they sell.

14 factors of consumer psychology every business leader should understand

expert panel

A basic understanding of consumer psychology can help you drive trust, connections, and ultimately, sales. Every business leader has heard the mantra: “If you want to boost sales, you’ve got to get to know your target audience.” Many companies limit this strategy to learning basic demographic information like age, gender, geographic region, and household income. But a smart leader knows that building an understanding of their customer or client base should also involve understanding human psychology. If you and your team understand basic psychological principles, you can form genuine connections with consumers, thereby building loyalty and trust (and sales). To help you achieve this, below the members of Fast Company Executive Board share 14 things every smart business leader needs to understand about consumer psychology.

13 tried-and-true ways to retain and engage existing customers

expert panel

Customer retention may be cheaper than new lead generation, but you need the right strategies to successfully earn repeat business. One of the first lessons business owners learn is that it’s cheaper to retain an existing customer than to engage a new one. However, that doesn’t mean it’s easy—and failing to retain current clientele can lead to detrimental consequences for an organization. Fortunately, there are several simple strategies that businesses can use to help retain and engage their existing customers. Not sure where to begin? Start with these 13 tried-and-true tricks shared by the members of Fast Company Executive Board.

Company details

Career Thought Leaders

Company bio

A careers industry think-tank dedicated to creating, innovating and sharing best practices that work today, and identifying, forecasting and sharing future trends that will work tomorrow. Efforts impact every sector within the careers and employment market space: Career Coaching Career Counseling Career Management Resume Writing Interviewing Job Search Networking Online Identity Management Personal Branding / Executive Branding Retail & Corporate Outplacement Hiring & Recruitment

Industry

Marketing & advertising

Area of focus

Training & Development
Professional Development Programming
Conference Planning & Management

Company size

2 - 10

This member is no longer active.

Connect with innovative industry leaders in Fast Company Executive Board.

Click below to learn more about membership and publication opportunities on FastCompany.com.
See What We’re AboutDo I Qualify?
Fast Company Executive Board is a vetted professional network of company founders, executives, and leaders who are defining the future of business through innovation, creativity and design.